November 26, 2006

this is a conservative...

ben stein has been preaching fiscal conservatism for a while now...republicans don't seem to be listening...the only place he seems to be getting any traction is in so-called liberal media outlets...this is my favorite part...

"The final argument is the one I really love. People ask how I can be a conservative and still want higher taxes. It makes my head spin, and I guess it shows how old I am. But I thought that conservatives were supposed to like balanced budgets. I thought it was the conservative position to not leave heavy indebtedness to our grandchildren. I thought it was the conservative view that there should be some balance between income and outflow. When did this change?

Oh, now, now, now I recall. It changed when we figured that we could cut taxes and generate so much revenue that we would balance the budget. But isn’t that what doctors call magical thinking? Haven’t the facts proved that this theory, though charming and beguiling, was wrong?"

this is the kind of realistic talk...and action...i could support in a politician...short money says...not gonna happen...long money says...well, the long money doesn't gamble...that's why it's the long money...