October 14, 2005

what I've learned from the police...(pt 2)

being a scofflaw is expensive...example: ticket for busted tailight...$60...replacement taillight...$6...for most of my twenties, my driving record was spotted with tickets and violations...speeding...dui...whatever...i got tired of paying for tickets...insurance...gas...so i sold my car and spent most of my thirties...riding my bike...yeah, i'm that cool...

believe it...despite my lack of a ride...and a prestigous carreer in customer service...i had no problem meeeting women...six years ago...i even found myself with...a girlfriend...she was sexy...smart...semi successful...and self destructive...obviously...she was dating me...

anyway, one night i was riding over to her place...and cops rolled up and pulled me over...on my bike...maybe you can imagine my ire...i managed to maintain my composure...even when they gave me the ol...you match the description...line of bullshit...

they ran my license...and unpaid tickets and missed court appearances finally caught up to me...they handcuffed me and put me in the backseat...

then they showed me a security picture of the guy i was suppposed to look like...he was taller...darker...and heavier...the only thing we had in common was our shaved heads...and oh yeah...he was black...

this is when i lost it...one of the cops was black...and i really let loose on him...about how he should know better...about how he should be ashamed of himself...they gave me the...yeah, yeah, whatever...and took me to the police station...

i knew i was wasting my time...and my breath...but i was tired...tired of cops exaggerating traffic violations...tired of being asked if they could search my car...tired of everything...

what did i get out of venting all this frustration...a weekend in jail...a suspended license...and a debt of several hundred dollars to my new girlfriend after she bailed me out...

it costs too damn much...all this wild freedom...