March 3, 2006

off the shelves...




the house says...


"Girls.

That was all. One word to pretty much sum up the whole of all we cared about. Week in, week out. Where to meet them. What to say to them. How not to need them. That was unattractive. Girls could never know you needed them, which was why our conversation had to be kept secret, because that's all it was about: needing them."


the vixen says...


"Bilqis' appearance belied her inner state as she faced Solomon. A thousand butterflies fluttered their colourful wings inside her, there was a pleasurable humming in her veins and her groin was infused with a warm, sensual feeling. The king reached out and took her hand and Bilqis was astounded by the life and feeling in this single, small piece of her. She could hardly meet Solomon's eyes. But, she reminded herself, I'm a queen - the Queen of Sheba - I meet any other monarch on equal terms. And when she forced herself to look into Solomon's eyes, she knew she was no queen looking into the eyes of a king but every woman looking for the first time into the soul of the man she loves and with whom she longs to be physically united."


the marketer says...


"Our brains have two sides. The right side is emotional and musical. The left side is focused on dexterity and hard data. When you show up to give a presentation, people use both parts of their brains. They use the right side to judge the way you talk, the way you dress, and your body language. Often, people come to a conclusion about your presentation by the time you're on the second slide. After that, it's often too late for your bullet points to do you much good."


the gambler says...


"What a fool! What a silly fool! You're an old fool you are!"


the jazzbo says...


"Later she waited at a dark corner table at Bobo's Black Rooster until Mingus came to sit with her at intermission, his hand gently caressing the base of her neck. He spoke casually of needing bread and she said eagerly, "I haven't much money but you know you can have it. Here, I know it's not enough." And carelessly brushing the few bills to the floor as if they were nothing he said as Bobo would say, "Thank you ma'am, thank you ma'am."


the poker pro says...


"Good players very rarely call. Good players raise or fold."


the criminal says...


"I had the feeling that I had no feeling"


the poet says...


"when I think of myself dead

I think of somebody making love to you

when I'm not around"


the yegg says...


"If I'm not there five minutes after you, I'll be in jail. I don't like to think of that, but the pitcher can can go to the well once too often, and it's better to know beforehand what you are going to do when it breaks. If I don't appear you put the stones away safely and wait till I send you word. Don't try to connect with me."